In the last few years robotics activities in India has moved well beyond the traditional areas of industrial applications, atomic energy, etc. and entered newer domains of education, rehabilitation, entertainment, and even into our homes. Indian robotics researchers have similarly grown from a handful to over a hundred engaged in research labs, education, industry, atomic energy, etc. Many of us feel that it is about time to form an academic society to further augment our robotics activities and for better interaction among ourselves. With this objective the Robotics Society of India (RSI) was formed on 10th July 2011.
RSI organizes a main event every year around the month of July. The events are Advances in Robotics (AIR) and Workshop on Robotics, held alternatively.
Advances in Robotics (AIR) is an international conference of Robotics Society of India, held every two years. The details are below:
- AIR-2013 was held at R&DE, DRDO, Pune during July 4-6, 2013
- AIR-2015 was held at BITS Pilani Goa Campus, Goa during July 2-4, 2015
- AIR-2017 will be held at IIT Delhi, New Delhi. Planned during June 28 – July, 2017.
Workshops on Robotics and its Applications are held every alternate years, focusing on a specific thrust area of robotics. The details are below:
- Workshop on Haptics and Virtual Reality in Robotics Applications was held at IIT Delhi, New Delhi during July 9-10, 2011 [RSI was inaugurated during this workshop]
- Workshop on Advances in Robotics was held at IIT Delhi, New Delhi during July 5-7, 2012
- International Workshop on Autonomous Vehicles and Mobile Robotics was held at IIT Delhi, New Delhi during July 6-8, 2014
- National Workshop on Advances in Robotics (NWAR) was held at IIT Madras, Chennai during July 18-19, 2016